Emergency Carers Service
Emergency Carers Service
Getting the right and timely 1:1 support for the person you look after should you experience an emergency and / or you need urgent time out from your caring role is very important.
You may be eligible for emergency care for the person you care for – this service is called the Emergency Carers Service.
Carers Centre, Tower Hamlets is pleased to be working in partnership with Excelcare Homecare, the company that delivers this valuable emergency service for carers, in Tower Hamlets.
The purpose of the Emergency Carers Service is to enable carers to attend appointments knowing that the person they care for is safe; to support carers who are experiencing a crisis.
The agreed criteria for self-referrals is as below:
- To allow a carer to attend medical appointments such as GP/Hospital.
- In the case that a carer has been admitted to hospital without notice.
- Sudden death of a carer.
- Carer experiencing a breakdown in mental health
- There is a risk of harm to the carer/cared for person or a risk of domestic violence.
- Breakdown in relationship between the carer/cared for person, including that the carer feels unable to fulfil their responsibilities in their carer role.
- Carer experiencing an emotional breakdown.
- Potential safeguarding risks/concerns.
- Carer entering the criminal justice system.
- The service can only be provided in the case that the carer/cared for is not already in receipt of services through Adult Social Care. However, carers who are in receipt of a carers relief service and are at risk of significant crisis, can be provided with an additional 12 hours of flexible carers relief as a top up.
Support the Emergency Carers Service can offer
- The Emergency Carers Service is able to provide up to a maximum of 24 hours of support within a 12-week period. Where there is a longer-term need, or additional support is required within this period, this will be managed through a Carers Assessment and commissioned package of care. Excelcare Homecare and Carers Centre Tower Hamlets can you help if you need longer term care and support for the person you care for.
If a carer wants to self-refer to the Emergency Carers Service
- Staff at the Carers Centre Tower Hamlets are here to help you if you need this service, do call us if you need assistance. However, all carers can call and self-refer too, over the phone, by calling 020 7780 9484 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are making an urgent self-referral, to start on the same day, or outside of Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5pm, please ensure that you call and speak with a Care Coordinator at Excelcare Homecare, using the number above.
- For emergency self-referrals, a minimum of 2 hours-notice is required. Emergency self-referrals can be made 7 days per week, please aim to contact our service by 7pm if required to start that evening. If there is a very urgent self-referral that requires immediate start after 7pm, still refer this onto Excelcare Homecare for discussion and assistance.
- For non-urgent self-referrals, please provide 24 hours’ notice where possible.
All Excelcare Homecare team members have a good level of spoken and written English and undergo a nationally recognised Care Certificate that includes important areas such as First Aid, Medication, Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults and Children, the Mental Capacity Act, Health and Safety, Fire Safety and Infection Control. They also take part in a thorough induction which covers our policies, procedures, expectations and period of shadowing an experienced carer.
To make sure a loved one is in good hands, Excelcare Homecare draws on a large number of care and support team members from different cultural backgrounds and then strives to match them appropriately with the people we care for. We also endeavour to keep carers as consistent as possible for families. We have a number of care workers who speak Bengali and are able to offer culturally appropriate care.
Excelcare Homecare understand how important it is that their team members have the right skills, personality and attitude – giving you peace of mind that your loved one is cared for as if they were a member of our own family.
You can find more information about Excelcare Homecare here: www.excelcareholdings.com
If you haven’t already, please get in touch to
- register with us at The Carers Centre
- complete a Carer’s Assessment with us. This establishes your needs as a Carer
- then if more support is needed we can refer you to Adult Social Care for a Support Plan – a gateway to more help.
How to get in touch and ask for statutory Carer’s Assessment, advice about the assessment, an appointment with a carers support advocate
Call the centre 0207 790 1765
In person: The Carers Centre, 21 Brayford Square, London, E1 0SG
Monday - Friday – 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed