Lasting Power of Attorney
Does the person you look after make their own decisions but want help managing their money? Maybe they can make their own decisions now but want an arrangement in case they can’t in the future. If they lose their mental capacity and if they do not have a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place, their bank account may be frozen, and their family may need to go to Court to unfreeze the accounts. This can cause lots of hassle, delay and expense.
There are 2 types of Lasting Power of Attorney; finances & property matters and decisions about health and care.
Why should you do it now?
- 1 in 3 of us will suffer dementia
- Many of us will retain mental capacity, but will physically struggle to manage our affairs at some point in our life
- Being married or asking your chosen person to act for you is not enough – you need to legally give them the power to help you
- If you leave making your Power of Attorney until you need it, it will be too late.
Carers Centre Partners
The Carers Centre Tower Hamlets is pleased to work in partnership with respected Law firms to provide carers with affordable support with LPA.
Jones Whyte Solicitors
Jones Whyte are a Glasgow based multi award winning Solicitor firm and the reigning Law Firm of the Year 2021
- They prepare thousands of Powers of Attorney every year
- Have partnerships with many major national charities
- They offer competitive Power of Attorney fees £349 + vat
You can find our more about Jones Whyte here Power of Attorney – Solicitors Glasgow | Jones Whyte Law
Duncan Lewis Solicitors
Duncan Lewis Solicitors prides itself on its commitment to providing the highest quality legal advice in a supportive environment for carers and the people they look after.
Duncan Lewis Solicitors are a national firm with offices locally.
- They are available for face-to-face appointments at their local office (1 Kingsland High Street, Dalston, Hackney, London, E8 2JS) or surgeries at the Carers Centre if requested
- They offer competitive Power of Attorney fees £350 + vat
Carers Centre staff can refer you, contact us on 0207 790 1765 or at email@example.com or you can contact them yourself – call Philippa Barton on 020 7014 7377 or email her firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find out more about Duncan Lewis here https://www.duncanlewis.co.uk
Most solicitor firms support with LPA and carers are under no obligation to use either firm listed above and are free to seek support from any firm they choose.
Co-op Legal Services also offer LPA services at reasonable prices – you can find out more here https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/making-a-will/lasting-powers-of-attorney/
You can also see the information links below for information.
Other information about managing someone’s affairs
Call us on 0207 790 1765 or email email@example.com to find out more about LPA.
If you haven’t already, please get in touch to
- register with us at The Carers Centre
- complete a Carer’s Assessment with us. This establishes your needs as a Carer
- then if more support is needed we can refer you to Adult Social Care for a Support Plan – a gateway to more help.
How to get in touch and ask for statutory Carer’s Assessment, advice about the assessment, an appointment with a carers support advocate
Call the centre 0207 790 1765
In person: The Carers Centre, 21 Brayford Square, London, E1 0SG
Monday - Friday – 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed