Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Apply for money because you or the person you look after has a long term disability

If you have a long term illness or disability, you may be able to get PIP. This is because your illness affects your ability to care for yourself. If the person a carer looks after gets PIP, the carer may qualify for certain benefits (such as carer’s allowance). Getting PIP can lead to further help with council tax. If you are a carer who has your own care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your carer’s allowance. You can get PIP whether you’re in work or not and it is tax free.

What The Carers Centre Tower Hamlets does: PIP advice

Our benefits advice and support service is for you the carer, and the cared for person, looking at the ‘household income’. We support the carer and the cared for person to apply for the benefits they are entitled to.

A welfare benefits advisor can advise you and explain the conditions someone needs to meet to get PIP. To qualify they must

  • how to apply
  • the information required about the applicant for the first phone call to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • what happens next: a ‘How your condition affects you’ form is sent out
  • how to fill it in and where to send it
  • about the assessment by an independent health professional. They help the DWP decide the level of help that is needed and therefore the payment level. The assessment could be face to face
  • the rules about long term disability or illness, the fast track approach for people who are terminally ill, the daily living component of PIP, the mobility component
  • about the decision. The DWP decides using the independent assessment, the application form, and any supporting evidence, including medical evidence if available.

A welfare benefits advisor can support you with reconsiderations and appeals if you get a decision you disagree with.

You must start the process of applying for PIP from the government by phoning. The applicant must be present. It is possible to write for a form, but this slows the process.

New claims only

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

Other information about PIP

A factsheet on PIP

More Personal Independence Payment information at the Carers UK website

First steps

If you haven’t already, please get in touch to

  • register with us at The Carers Centre
  • complete a Carer’s Assessment with us. This establishes your needs as a Carer
  • then if more support is needed we can refer you to Adult Social Care for a Support Plan – a gateway to more help.

How to get in touch and ask for statutory Carer’s Assessment, advice about the assessment, an appointment with a carers support advocate

Call the centre 0207 790 1765
In person: The Carers Centre, 21 Brayford Square, London, E1 0SG

Get in touch

The Carers Centre
21 Brayford Square
London, E1 0SG

020 7790 1765

Opening hours

Monday - Friday – 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed

Follow us