Housing benefit and council tax reduction

Get money in relation to rent or your council tax bill

Are you or the person you care for on a low income, unemployed or claiming benefits?

If so, do you know that Housing Benefit is a social security benefit that can help with rent? How much you get depends on household income, circumstances and housing status. You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you are unemployed or working.

Or do you or your cared for person have low income or claim benefits? Do you know that you can also apply for a reduction in your Council Tax bill? You can apply if you are a home owner or you rent. You can be unemployed or working. How much Council Tax Reduction you get depends on your income, savings and personal circumstances, and anyone else living in their household.

What The Carers Centre Tower Hamlets does: Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction advice

A welfare benefits advisor can assist you and explain the conditions for these benefits and reductions. They can explain how to apply or help you apply.

Benefits are changing. To make a new claim for Housing Benefit one of the following must be true:

  • you are getting the severe disability premium
  • you have reached state pension age
  • you live in temporary accommodation
  • you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens

If not, you will need to claim universal credit instead.

You can apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction from Tower Hamlets by clicking here.

If you live in another area visit your council website.

Other information

Carers UK help with benefits

More information on Housing Benefit from the UK Carers website

And Council Tax Relief too!

First steps

If you haven’t already, please get in touch to

  • register with us at The Carers Centre
  • complete a Carer’s Assessment with us. This establishes your needs as a Carer
  • then if more support is needed we can refer you to Adult Social Care for a Support Plan – a gateway to more help.

How to get in touch and ask for statutory Carer’s Assessment, advice about the assessment, an appointment with a carers support advocate

Call the centre 0207 790 1765
email: enquiries@ccth.org.uk
In person: The Carers Centre, 21 Brayford Square, London, E1 0SG

Get in touch

The Carers Centre
21 Brayford Square
London, E1 0SG

020 7790 1765


Opening hours

Monday - Friday – 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed

Follow us