Attendance allowance

Apply for money because someone with a disability or illness finds it hard for to look after themselves

Does the person you care for have a long term illness or disability which makes it hard for them to look after themselves? Or do you yourself also need help to look after yourself even though you care for someone?

Do you know if the person you care for is entitled to Attendance Allowance? Do you know enough about it to make a claim?

You can spend the money however you like – it could help someone including yourself stay independent in your own home for longer.

What The Carers Centre Tower Hamlets does: Attendance Allowance advice

Our benefits advice and support service is for you the carer, and the cared for person, looking at the ‘household income’. We support the carer and the cared for person to apply for the benefits they are entitled to.

But before a welfare benefits advisor can help with Attendance Allowance, you the carer must take these first steps

A welfare benefits advisor can advise you and explain the conditions someone needs to meet to get Attendance Allowance. To qualify they must

  • have reached state pension age. Check state pension age
  • have a disability or illness that makes it hard for them to look after themselves

A welfare benefits advisor can explain the allowance to you including

  • means testing (it is not based on income or savings or any other money received)
  • the amount, which depends on how much help is needed
  • it is tax free
  • it does not affect the state pension.

The Carers Centre Tower Hamlets welfare benefits advisor can help you fill in the long form. Don’t be put off applying! You can request the form from DWP by calling 08007310122

Other information about Attendance Allowance

A factsheet on Attendance Allowance

There is more information about Attendance Allowance at the Carers UK website

First steps

If you haven’t already, please get in touch to

  • register with us at The Carers Centre
  • complete a Carer’s Assessment with us. This establishes your needs as a Carer
  • then if more support is needed we can refer you to Adult Social Care for a Support Plan – a gateway to more help.

How to get in touch and ask for statutory Carer’s Assessment, advice about the assessment, an appointment with a carers support advocate

Call the centre 0207 790 1765
In person: The Carers Centre, 21 Brayford Square, London, E1 0SG

Get in touch

The Carers Centre
21 Brayford Square
London, E1 0SG

020 7790 1765

Opening hours

Monday - Friday – 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed

Follow us