Universal & Tax Credit

Carers Finance -

Universal Tax Credit






Universal Credit has started to replace 6 existing benefits if you’re out of work or on a low income, with a single monthly payment into your post office, bank or building society account.


Universal Credit has been gradually rolled out to the rest of the UK and will be completed by the end of 2018.


Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you’ll then pay your landlord yourself.



Universal Credit replaces the following:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Tip for Carers:

If the person you care for is already in debt or has learning difficulties, mental ill health or a substance misuse problem and you manage their money or benefits for them, ask the DWP team for an “alternative payment arrangement”.


This can mean:

  • help with rent can be paid direct to the landlord
  • more frequent payments
  • payments can be split between partners e.g. if there are domestic violence issues.



Address: The Carers Centre

21 Brayford Square

London, E1 0SG


Phone: 020 7790 1765

Email: enquiries@ccth.org.uk



Monday – 9.30am – 5pm

Tuesday – 9.30am – 5pm

Wednesday – 9.30am – 8pm

Thursday – 9.30am – 5pm

Friday – 9.30am – 5pm

Saturday – 11am – 3pm

Sunday – Closed


UK Registered Charity No: 1084930

Supported by

Affiliated to

Working in partnership with